Contamination sources present in the soil may result in a spreading plume of pollutants due to groundwater flow action. When it is not feasible to remove the source, the best option is to contain the resulting plume. Biosoil EU developed the bioscreen to efficiently and cost-effectively contain contaminating plumes. Biosoil’s philosophy is to stimulate microorganisms already present in the soil, thus creating localised bioreactors that stop the plume from expanding.
The Biosoil bioscreen consists of strategically positioned extraction and injection wells. Modular systems are put in place to properly condition extracted groundwater before injection and optimise conditions for local soil microflora. In this way, Biosoil creates a series of dedicated soil bioreactors for the removal of pollutants specified by the client.
Common pollutants are:
- Petroleum hydrocarbons including aromatics such as BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene & xylene), aliphatic and alicyclic hydrocarbons;
- Halogenated solvents including tetrachloroethylene, trichloroethylene, trichloroethane, dichloroethylene, dichloroethane and vinyl chloride;
- Heavy metals including copper, zinc, mercury and cadmium
Advantages of the Biosoil Bioscreen:
- Minimised impact on local infrastructure: no excavation required;
- No waste generation through in-situ treatment system;
- Minimised energy consumption;
- Wide application range.
The total solution company
for soil remediation
The Biosoil bioscreen is highly suitable for plume containment at:
(Petrochemical) industrial site | Petrol station | Waste management facilities and landfills | Urban areas | Natural reserves